Monday 11 December 2017

Old Cold

It occurred to me, pretty quickly, it has been a long time since I had felt as cold as I did this morning.

I'm sure I'm right when I remember cold frosty days being quite normal in wintertime, I used to love those type of mornings, they couldn't be too cold as long as it was clear and the sun was due to rise and take a few degrees out of the chill.
I like to walk when the weather is like this, keeps the body temperature ticking over and because it was clear the light would be really good for watching birds.

I know these mornings have been less usual in recent years because this morning I experienced difficulties I never remember being and issue to me before, hands mainly, in fact exclusively, I couldn't keep them warm, all morning, except when they were wrapped around a mug of tea of course. 

Its true that my 'genuine sheepskin' gloves are getting a bit past their best but the real problem is I am too, I'm a bit older and have become accustomed to muggy, mild, wet winters. Nice cold icy mornings have been missing but nevertheless I was glad to be reaquainted today.

It was -5 when I met Stewart at Alnmouth, we headed to East Chevington. It was quiet and very cold, the north pond was 80% or so iced over. Swans were sat motionless in the iced areas, I wasn't sure if they had perished or not.

The free water held all of the birds, Tufted Duck, Teal, Wigeon, Goldeneye, Whooper and Mute Swans all crammed in. 
A Long Tailed Duck was picked out and a Great Northern Diver was fishing just off the north shore as we watched, Water Rails were screaming from the reed beds.



Just before we perished completely, standing still in the cold, we headed to the burn mouth, Goldcrest, Bullfinch, Wren seen as we walked. At the burn mouth there were a flock of 35 or so Twite and they were very nice in the sunlight, if I'd been able to make my fingers function with sufficient dexterity to operate the buttons and switches on my camera the conditions were very good for photographs, camera remained slung over my shoulder though, not a bad thing as I was able to just enjoy the birds, Sanderling and Pied Wagtails were on the shore. 




A brief stop at the cafe, to refuel,  after enjoying a field full of Golden Plover just north of a frozen Cresswell Pond, then off to Morpeth.. Abbey Mill, wooded pasture on the banks of the River Wansbeck, criss-crossed with public footpaths.


Line of Hornbeams
Hawfinches had been discovered here a few weeks or so ago and had been seen almost daily since. Stewart had been already but we decided to pay a visit this morning, better views perhaps or just a chance to see these secretive birds well. They favour Hornbeams, feeding on the seeds. 

We stayed for an hour or so and had some good views, even tried a distant photograph or two, great birds, I really enjoyed them.






Distant and dodgy Hawfinch photographs, what a great morning, out in the cold..

No comments:

Post a Comment