Sunday 12 November 2017

Park Closed

6/11/2017 Its years since the last time I was in Hulne Park. Hawfinches have been seen lately and, rightly so, are interesting many. This got me thinking about where they used to be seen each winter and I decided to take a nostalgic look back. 

I parked up and noticed the sign, PARK CLOSED. 

It didn't matter, my best, and last, Hawfinch encounter was outside the boundary of Hulne Park in the tree line along the park wall heading north west, it was quite low down and close.

The rough footpath runs along side the allotment gardens, following the park walls, crossing Stocking Burn and heading towards Alnwick Moor, of I wandered, hopefull.




No Hawfinch but a good list of woodland birds were seen, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Nuthatch, Jay, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Buzzard, Redwing, Mistle Thrush and Goldcrest. 

It was sunny with only light cloud so the south west facing, Ivy cloaked park walls were quite warm. A Red Admiral was out on one of the Ivy patches, and another close by, a total of seven were seen. They were in various states of wear, from fresh and crisp to quite tatty and worn, last butterflies of the year possibly, great to see, hopefully each one found a safe and dry place to spend the winter.






A nice little group of Roe Deer crossed my path as I headed back towards the park gates, quite a pleasant, if short, walk out.

No comments:

Post a Comment