Monday 19 May 2014

A quickie

Not much spare time today but managed to pop out locally early afternoon. Nice and warm and sunny.
Cheviots from Alnwick Moor
Quiet on moorland close to home, Cuckoo calling, Siskin, Skylark, Willow Warbler and Chaffinch. As I was watching a few White Butterflies, far too active to p[hotograph I heard a squeaking at my feet. It sounded like a nest full of young birds.
It was in fact an Adder with a small rodent, the poor thing was sqealing for a good few minutes untill it eventually fell silent. I did manage to get a photograph of sorts, centre left if you look closely.
Adder with prey
I headed to Rabbit Lonnen on the outskirts of Alnwick with an idea to photograph some butterflies. I didnt have much success, too warm. There were Orange Tips, Whites and a Wall Brown but they were much to active in the warm early afternoon sunshine.

Rabbit Lonnen


Woods at near Denwick at the start of Rabbit Lonnen

Forget me not flowers
 
 Hawthorn
Ratcheugh Tower from the Lonnen

Nettletap Moth on a Dandelion flower

Alnwick from Denwick woodland

The only Butterfly I managed to photograph

3 comments:

  1. Great stuff John, that adder sighting is a one in a lifetime! You need to use a nice photo of the moors as your background on here the snowy Branton Pits is a bit dated now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. I've just spent an hour trying to put a new background on here I'm afraid its beyond me, might go for a plain one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just select from the choices on the template, thats where I got my wood fence...and the corn on the AWG blog too...you could go psychadelic!

    ReplyDelete