Monday 23 October 2017

Off to Church

Its Sunday, off to church we went, a Little Bunting has been seen this week in the scrub behind Low Newton Church, Stewart had seen and photographed this bird yesterday but I was keen too.

Still dark when we arrived but when the light broke we headed off down the narrow road that heads to Newton Point stopping just as the trees end. I was scanning the Sycamore tree that this bird had been seen in and quite quickly picked the bird up. I shouted Stewart over, the bird showed quite well for a minute or so. For some reason though I wanted to see it for a bit longer, not always possible so I was frustrated, I had seen it well enough but the light wasn't great. 

It was more that I wanted satisfy myself I was identifying this bird, I wanted to have a decent look. Conditions were breezy, a north west wind was buffeting the trees meaning picking up any movement was virtually impossible, the sun had only just reached the tree we were watching and the area was still in cold shade, we gave it an hour or so and headed back to the car for tea, a break we thought, warm up.

It has been a few years since I saw my last Little Bunting, that one was at Hauxley Reserve, in the early days of this reserve, Autumn 1987 it was showing along the path to what is now known as the Wader Hide, I think...

Refreshed, we returned to the spot, Stewart picked the bird up straight away and it showed really well long enough to attempt some photographs and enjoy the bird a bit, moving slowly through the Sycamore picking away at insects and aphids as it went, almost like a large Warbler, not really Bunting like.. much better.

At least two Yellow Browed Warblers along with Goldcrests, Song Thrushes and Blackbirds also seen.




Little Bunting



No comments:

Post a Comment