Sunday 13 November 2016

Corby Refurbished

It always seems to be this time of year when I decide to have a walk through Corby Crag Woods. I think its because I always like to visit places like this but often it doesn't make sense.
This time of the year I'm usually using up leave and find myself with free days. I had headed for the coast but pulled over at the road side to check out a large flock of grazing Pink Footed Geese near Birling..no binoculars, I'd left them at home.
I headed back and decided to check out Corby Crag rather than travel back to the coast.


View down Lemmington Bank

The view as you park up is really something, looking down Lemmington Bank. As I was taking this first snap I heard Crossbill singing and calling, three or four wer in pines on the opposite side of the road.

Now then, I jumped the gate and headed into the wood on new rough road that has been created right through this area and I had heard that this activity had spoilt the area. Certainly walking was a lot easier, re cycled road planings have been used and new drainage installed.
Track of the day

The wood was quiet, as expected, dark and heavily shaded walking up the first section but it opens out in areas and the view points are quite impressive.


I left the new track as it took a turn to the south east and headed up the rough and damp footpath to the top of Corby Crags. There were more and more Crossbills constantly flying overhead, groups of half a dozen to twenty or so and the odd single bird, fabulous constant ringing calls when there is no other sound. Singing birds were heard on a few occasions, early breeders Crossbill so I gues they will be starting to establish breeding territories, if thats what they do.



The Big Picture



Very pleasant at the top of my walk, three Buzzards soaring from here

Edlingham


Walking back down the south west edge

I admit to taking a difficult route around the back of the wood, hanging onto fences, getting my boot stuck etc but once back on the established tracks it was easy walking again and I do need the excercise.


Back in looking out


I tried some Fungi photography with my pocket camera in the heavily shaded areas.


Back on track heading down toward the area where I left the track earlier, an immature type Goshawk with a massively bulging crop flapped low over the track.



A new pond has been created, not sure why and the drainage ditches are doing no real good but I think I'll be enjoying these in the summer months, there is sure to be insect life to enjoy. Yes the area has had new tracks and drainage, still worth a visit though at anytime of the year.

All in all an enjoyable stroll, Goshawk 1, Crossbill 30+, Woodcock 1, Bullfinch, Coal Tit, Goldcrest, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Wren, Robin, Dunnock, Carrion Crow, Buzzard 3 and Kestrel.

2 comments:

  1. A good place to visit now and again. You'll see a Shrike there one day and your track of the day should see some interesting plants colonising the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had Shrike in my mine Nigel, it really is a good place and your right about the edges, there is enough light getting in to allow good colonisation

    ReplyDelete