Sunday 8 September 2019

Wood Sand

I always feel when I can't quite work out what to do or where to go then a trip to Hedgeley Reserve is always a good idea. It had been a while since I'd experienced the high numbers of Common Darters you can get there along the tracks, hedgerows and lanes later in the summer, there and there had been a Wood Sandpiper reported recently so I could do the proper birder thing too. 

I started by walking anti clockwise around the ponds on the eastern side of the main track, through the fields and returning by following the River Breamish. 






Plenty of birds to be had, Wood Sandpiper was seen well on the first Largest pond, feeding on one of the shingle spits. 

Also of note, 
Greenshank 1
a good count of Gadwall 42+, 
Goldeneye 6+
Little Grebe 27

Redpolls were buzzing overhead, a small group of Crossbills too. A couple of Raven circled, cronking away, headed south then headed back North away from the ponds.

4 Grey Wagtails counted during the walk.

As I walked the main track that separates the new from the old ponds there were countless Common Darters on the wing, exactly what I'd hoped, I went back to the car to change my lens.








Never ever tire of watching these insects, so alert and so beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment