Friday 8 April 2016

March-April

Computer problems stopping posts at the moment, not that I'm prolific at the best of times, new PC on its way so there could be no more posts after this knowing my IT nous.

So.. March has given way to April, summer birds are starting to pass through and arrive in small numbers, it never seems to be very dramatic in north Northumberland just a slow and gradual process. Keeps you looking hard at the patch or wherever you find yourself.
I got to thinking about one early spring species, Chiff Chaff, so much excitement for a week or so and then they just tend to get forgotten about for thew rest of the year, reports here and there of the earliest singing birds and then they are pushed aside by its sweeter more melodic stable mate the Willow Warbler, Sand Martin and coastal Wheatears as spring gathers pace.

A wander down the River Coquet at Warkworth on one of the last days of March we caught up with and enjoyed a singing Chiff Chaff, this one was easy to watch in the leafless branches.


Goldcrest also singing but difficult to photograph

A week or so later, first Sunday or April I didn't make it out first thing but met up with Stewart at Howick and decided to check out part of his patch for a change, Craster. 
Late in the morning so kicking about a bit, feeling like we were just having an hour or so, we parked up and wandered down to the harbour, it was a nice enough morning.

Just as we rounded the nearest moored up fishing boat Stewart shouted a Black Redstart, fabulous..

Its the time of year for these birds to turn up but they aren't common and always nice to see. I went mad a bit with photographs.



 



 
  





Other species were feeding in the small harbour area. Robin, Pied Wagtail, Wren, Jackdaw, Rook, Turnstone and Purple Sandpiper.

Loved this Rook, drinking fresh water from a clifftop puddle

Turnstone

Purple Sandpiper
Anyway, back on my patch, I've just had my first Wheatear,,, 

2 comments:

  1. Nice pics John...I haven't had a proper practice at my new camera so it may be a year or 2 before I can compete with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Nigel, I just point and shoot really, its great what modern cameras can do..

    ReplyDelete