Sunday 14 June 2015

House Martin Survey

First visits this year participating in this two year national study and survey of House Martins. 
I have been allocated three 1km squares to check out. Two visits to each square, one in June and one in July.
I had to work this morning which was unexpected so found myself free this afternoon..
Interesting looking at buildings. I look at buildings every day, its my job. Today though I was looking at them from the perspective of this lovely little Hirundine.

Not many traditional Northumbrian buildings are suited to the nesting habits of this bird and many modern or developed properties which would have a soffit or boarded eaves have been altered and covered with dreadful upvc. The birds cant adhere the mud to this material.

There were no nesting House Martins in the two squares I visited today.

I know some progress has been made with developers and house builders by providing nest sites for Swift and House Sparrow, hopefully the same can be done for House Martins and perhaps the data gathered from this survey can help.



No comments:

Post a Comment